Mythful Meanings

In the English language, many meanings come from myths. This blog considers many of those words.

Myths are stories people tell to explain the great mysteries of life, such as birth and death, why the sun rises and sets, and why the moon changes in a predictable pattern.

I decided to start over from the end of the alphabet and work toward the beginning. I have a stack of index cards with information typed on them, all in alphabetical order. When I started this blog, I started at A, because I didn't realize that all the entries would be pushed down.

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Aegis

In ancient Greek myth, the aegis was a shield that Hephaestus, the god of iron-working, made for Zeus, which he sometimes lent to his daughter Athena. Usually, it is associated with Athena.

English word: The word aegis also means a shield, and is the name given to
a class of guided missile cruisers, and to many businesses.

2 comments:

Zahra said...

Hi. Your site is very useful. I love words and I love to know the stories that are behind words. I will keep visiting this good online place.

Regards,

Zahra

http://zahrasnotes.blogspot.com/

Wordlover said...

Thank you, zahra. I look forward to any comments you may make.